The best way to protect your beautiful smile is by preventing problems before they start. Most of the conditions that negatively affect your smile can be avoided with regular care. Dr. Loganathan and the Dorothy Lane Dental team are committed to answering your questions about proper hygiene and providing you with the most advanced preventive dentistry.
Keeping Good Oral Health
At Dorothy Lane Dental we offer several preventative services that along with proper home care will help you keep your smile for a lifetime!
Regular Dental Hygiene Appointments
Part of maintaining good oral and dental hygiene would be following up at least every 6 months with your dentist and dental hygienist. At these appointments we will take any necessary x-rays or intra-oral photographs which help Dr. Loganathan with his examination as well as check periodontal health and bone conditions once a year. After the dental hygienist has cleaned your teeth and went over oral home care instructions, Dr. Loganathan will do a full examination and go over with you any areas of concerns and answer any questions your may have.
Intra-Oral Photographs allow Dr. Loganathan to see in detail, issues that may not show up on dental x-rays. The advantages to intra-oral photographs are:
- Using visual aids to help further assist with patient education and communication
- Increase insurance acceptance and approvals which will result in less out of pocket cost to the patient
- Allowing Dr. Loganathan to further identify changes in dentition, soft tissues and fracturing
At Dorothy Lane Dental we use the most up to date digital dental x-rays. There are many advantages to having digital x-rays which include:
- 70% less radiation exposure to the patient than traditional x-rays
- Pain Free and easier to tolerate for the patient which decreases time needed to take x-rays
- Digital x-rays are more clear and allow early diagnosis of cavities in between the teeth
- Digital x-rays allow our dental team to develop x-rays quicker and allow Dr. Loganathan to review and diagnosis treatment same day
- Easily stored on the computer which allow for easier transferring to specialists
Cone Beam Technology
Cone beam imaging is a state of the art technology that provides Dr. Loganathan with a 3-D view of teeth, soft tissues, jaw bones, joints and airways that have proven to be a crucial tool for several complex procedures. The advantages of cone beam technology include:
- Reduced radiation exposure to the patient
- Aids in diagnosis for dental implants, TMJ disorders, sleep apnea, orthodontic treatment and periodontal disease
- Enhanced precision during endodontic and implant procedures
At Dorothy Lane Dental we offer fluoride treatments to both adults and children who have a higher risk of decay or increased sensitivity. Fluoride can be found in many places such as, tooth pastes, mouth rinses, foods and even water. The advantages of fluoride include:
- Assisting in fighting off bacteria and harmful acids that cause demineralization of teeth
- Helps to rebuild and protect teeth enamel
- Helps decrease tooth sensitivity and prevents tooth decay
Promoting preventative care is a high priority at Dorothy Lane Dental and we highly recommend dental sealants. Sealants are protective barriers that cover and fill the deep pits and groves in teeth to protect them from decay. There are many important reasons to get dental sealants which include:
- Reducing the risk of decay by 80%
- Helps to prevent costly corrective treatments in the future
- Aids in overall good oral health
Oral Cancer Screenings
During your routine examination Dr. Loganathan will screen for oral cancer and any abnormalities of the soft tissues in your mouth. Oral cancer screenings allow for early detection of oral cancer which will increase the chances of successful treatment.
Proper oral hygiene / home care
One of the most important factors of maintaining a happy and healthy smile for life is good home care. Proper oral hygiene consists of:
- Brushing at lease twice a day for a minimum of two minutes
- Flossing at least one time a day
- Rinsing twice a day with an antimicrobial or fluoride containing mouth rinse
- Avoiding foods or beverages that are high in sugars or acidity
Bruxism / TMD
Bruxism is the clenching or grinding of teeth whether out of stress or during the night which can put a lot of strain on your teeth and jaw joints. TMD is a disorder that causes pain and tenderness of the jaw joints or surrounding tissues. The Dorothy Lane Dental team understands how painful these disorders can be and how much they affect your daily life, which is why we offer treatments for these disorders which include occlusal bite guards. Occlusal bite guards not only help with pain relief but also help relieve stress on your teeth and jaw joints causes by these disorders.
Sleep apnea and snoring
If you are one of the more than 12 million people affected by sleep apnea in the United States, you know it is a disorder that disrupts your entire life, not just your sleep. As one of Dr. Loganathan’s focus areas, you can rest assured that your Dorothy Lane Dental team will provide expert care which will finally allow you to get back to better sleeping and better living!