WHAT IS A DENTAL IMPLANT?
A dental implant is needed to replace a missing tooth/teeth and is a surgical component that is placed within the jaw bone to support a dental prosthesis such as a crown, bridge and dentures and acts as an anchor. Our dental implants are made of Titanium and Titanium alloy and are made up of three components.
The Implant Screw
- The implant screw is a titanium component that is surgically placed in to the jaw bone.
The Implant Abutment
- The implant abutment is a secondary component that is connected to the dental implant screw after the surgical site has healed. The abutment is used to attach the prosthetic device to the implant screw.
The Implant Prosthetic (Crown / Bridge / Denture)
- The prosthetic is the final stage of the process and is placed over the abutment with dental cement.
WHY CHOSE A DENTAL IMPLANT?
Prevent Teeth From Shifting
- When you lose a tooth the surrounding teeth will begin to shift and tip to fill in the missing space. Tipping of the teeth will cause you to lose the contact of two teeth and allow food to be trapped in this area which can cause decay. If you are missing a tooth on the lower the upper tooth will actually come down from the periodontal ligament called supraeruption. Supraeruption can throw off your bite tremendously over time and cause headaches, jaw aches and tension, root exposure, increased sensitivity and possible loss of tooth.
Prevent Bone Loss (Resorption)
- Teeth are necessary to maintain a healthy jaw bone. Once the tooth is removed there is no longer need for the bone and it actually resorbs or shrinks in the area of the missing tooth. The implant screw actually helps to preserve the bone structure. Once the jaw bone begins to resorb because of missing teeth it can cause your face to appear shrunken in.
Eliminate Stress on Surrounding Teeth
- When a tooth is missing there is additional stress put on the surrounding teeth which can cause them to weaken. This stress can cause coronal fracturing, root fracturing, breaking of tooth and possible loss of tooth.
Longevity of Restoration
- Dental Implants are a longer lasting restoration. Dental implants offer a more permanent option since the implant screw bonds with the jaw bone. Since the implant is fused with the bone it allows them to last longer with proper care and cleaning. There is no additional cleaning requirements other than your normal brushing and flossing.
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A DENTAL IMPLANT?
The ideal candidate for a dental implant would have:
- Adequate bone support
- Healthy gum tissue (free from periodontal disease)
- Overall good oral health
ARE THERE FINANCING OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO ME FOR A DENTAL IMPLANT?
Absolutely! At Dorothy Lane Dental we strive to make a happy healthy smile affordable to everyone! We have several financing options available like CareCredit and Lending Club. Our office staff is trained in helping our patients with applications, answering questions and assisting on which option would be best for your specific needs!
We’re here to help. Contact Us!